Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Natural Beauty



Breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural, tender, precious, gracious, self-less, life giving, life affirming act. It is nothing to be embarrassed about, or hidden, or to get excited about. It is pure and simple. It is the way we are designed to feed our babies. It is right and proper.

My Grandmother wet-nursed her sister's child. And probably saved her life. There were times in the past when it was simply an accepted practice to feed a child whose Mother was weak, ill, or as was often the case in centuries past, when the Mother was lost during childbirth.

These days, there are programs for saving breast milk and donating it to children in need in other countries, and even at home. That's progress.

I well remember my first encounter with donating mother's milk to a newborn who had lost his. I will never forget it. I would have nursed every child that I could, had it been socially acceptable. I hope it will be again. Maybe we're on the verge of a breakthrough. I certainly hope so.

~ With much Love

PS Read this related story: A Police Officer in China, after the earthquakes. . .

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I breastfed all six of my children, I know that the benefits and bonding that takes place is so special. My am reminded of a story my grandmother told about her aunt. They were so poor in the old country she had to leave her own child to be a wet nurse in the city for a wealthy family to take care of her own baby...Beautiful post thank you Pinkie

    ReplyDelete