Bebe's whimsical creation was a huge hit, and delicious. They really did eat it.
"I really love you, Dad." That is really what he said, just as I snapped the picture!
Papa and the boys, spinning. :)
Now, underwater, place your fingers into the fissure, and break the fruit apart. Separate the seeds from the membranes. The seeds will sink, and the peel and membranes will float! That's it! Wasn't that easy!?
Of course, you will want to skim the floating material off of the water and discard it.
I like to keep a fresh bowl handy and a slotted spoon. I transfer the seeds into the fresh bowl as soon as I have enough to scoop. Maybe it's an unnecessary step, but I do this because you never know when you're going to open a really icky pomegranate in the water. Any cooking process will kill germs, of course, but still. . .Now, you are qualified to go forth and make pomegranate wonderfulness! Have fun doing so! ~ Love!
The little cloche is full of acorns and acorn tops. I placed this stem of dried oak leaves in the tall cloche, because I was lucky to find one on the ground with a acorns attached. That's a lichen covered twig standing in the old inkwell. Oh, oh, and I bought the pheasant feather quill at Jane Austen's House!
Now the directions, the steps are:
My tray is roughly 16 x 18 inches. Any size that you like will do. This was a fire engine red picture frame, with no glass when I found it stashed in that cupboard. So. . . assuming that you, too are using a 'found' frame, first remove the glass, and sand the living daylights out of the wood. This should ensure that the new paint makes a good bond. Spray paint the frame.
Find the center of the short sides of your frame, and measure from that point to drill holes for your handles. Unless you use flat head screws, you will need to counter sink the screw heads on the back side.
Cut (or have cut) a sheet of glass to fit the opening. This is usually very inexpensive at a regular, old fashioned, hardware store, if necessary.
Cut a black sheet of paper/mat board/foam core the size of the opening. I used mat board, but I have a stash.
Cut a piece of Masonite, or other 1/8 inch thick board to fit the back of the frame, approximately 1/2 inch smaller than frame. For instance, 16 x 18 frame = 15 1/2 x 17 1/2 backboard. This will need to be nailed onto the frame, so you will want to drill pilot holes, and use the shortest tack that will do the job. You don't want them to poke through the front of the frame. The pilot holes need only be drilled through the Masonite. You are drilling pilot holes because you don't want to be whacking on the back of the assembled frame with a hammer any more than is absolutely necessary. For my frame, I drilled corner holes, and three others per side.
I am assuming, that you have already pressed your leaves, but if you haven't, scroll down a few posts, and you will find the directions for the method that I used. Artistically position your dried, pressed leaves onto the black (or color of your choice) board, leaving a generous margin and keeping in mind that you will need space for the labels. Glue them in place. I used glue dots, but I'm not certain they were the best idea, maybe spray-adhesive, white glue or 3M quick dry craft glue, definitely not hot glue, because it leaves thick blobs. The glue dots had a tendency to break the fragile leaves.
Labels: If you are lucky enough to get your hands on vintage labels, by all means use them, or color copy them, and use that! I tea stained regular old unlined index cards, then ironed dry and to flatten them.
Tea staining cards: Make a cup/bowl of really strong tea and while it is hot soak the cards in it. Soak as long as it takes to get the color saturation that you are looking for. Five to ten minutes is probably a good estimate. I like to have a little tea standing on the cards when I iron them, it gives them a nice, irregular, somewhat blotchy coloration. You will definitely want to press them on a tea towel. :)
Write out the names, and then cut the card to size. I used a sepia colored marker, but black would work equally well. If you do calligraphy, lucky you! You could print the names on tan card stock, and then trim to size. I just used my best 'scientific' penmanship, because I was hoping for an antique-like, handmade appearance.
Wow! This is a wordy description!
Using a straight-edge, carefully draw a border, or two around each label. This takes a little planning, but if you make a mistake, at least the supplies are inexpensive.
I filled my board with a lot of leaves, so I was a little short on room. Because of that I used only the familiar names of the trees, instead of both the common and botanical, as I had planned, but you can find the proper botanical names easily enough online, after all, you found me! I'm just teasing! I'll help! I liked Backyard Gardener.
Check the spacing for labels on your board by writing out the names on scraps of paper, cutting them to the approximate size, and laying them in place. I was really happy that I went to this effort, it really helped with the space planning.
Glue the labels in place, the pretty ones, not the samples, silly. I used the 3M quick drying craft glue, but glue sticks would probably suffice. Again, I don't recommend hot glue.
Now, you get to assemble it!
Send me a picture, or post it on your blog and send me a link! Debbi