Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Blessing



Mark and I become kids again every year when we select our Christmas tree. The window behind it is 9 feet tall. We just can't help ourselves.
I'm all snuggled down in front of the fireplace sipping a cup of hot mulled cider. I am finally warm. Lovely, lovely fire. I have the television set to a radio channel playing Christmas carols. Mark has retired for the night. I am waiting up for Sam to come home from work. Since he has been home for his Christmas vacation, I find the best time for visits is on his schedule; late, late at night. That's okay, though. We always have been late night chatters. Since he has been away at college, I have missed our late night theological discussions. I'm falling behind.
I have been so busy getting ready for Christmas that I have really begun to feel that I'm missing it. I mean, the church programs, the carolers. . . Has anyone seen Christmas carolers this year? I wonder where they can be? Our family used to go caroling. We should do that again.
We began the repair work on my case of Christmas blues tonight, though. We went to Liam's school Christmas program. I realized some time into the program, that there were lots of children on the stage, but as far as I was concerned, I could only see one of them, and it was difficult to focus on him. . .through the Grandma tears. Precious. Precious. When he finally located us in the crowd, and his little face lit up, and he waved and waved. . .I mean. . . life doesn't get any sweeter than a moment like that. These are the moments to hold in your heart and cherish. I certainly mean to keep it safe in mine.
This moment, too. . .the one I am having just now, blessed all over by the Christmas program, snuggled by the fire with my cider and Christmas carols, under the Christmas tree. Merry Christmas, everyone! If you don't mind my meddling, you should take a moment to enjoy this beautiful season of holiness and love, too. ~Love!

1 comment: