Thursday, December 11, 2008

How to Easily Remove Pomegranate Seeds

We have made Pomegranate Jelly at our house for years. I think I have worked out the most efficient and comfortable seeding process. It's really easy, honest! And not nearly as time consuming as you're thinking!

Although, I remember fondly. . . sitting around a table outside with my children, each of us with a pot of water in our laps, giggling and seeding. Eating as many as we kept. . . .sigh. . . I would love to do that again. Those are sweet, sweet memories. . .

But to the task at hand. You will want to wear something old. The seeds definitely will squirt juice on you, and your surroundings, and the spots are notoriously difficult to remove. Consider yourself warned. :)

One more quick note: You will undoubtedly find a rotten fruit or two. . . or five, so make sure you have more pomegranates on hand than your recipe requires.


I like to fill the largest bowl that I have with enough warm water to fully submerge one pomegranate at a time. I use warm water because it is comfortable on the hands. Imagine an hour with your hands soaking in cold water, and I'll bet you'll do the same!

Wash the pomegranate, and insert kitchen shears into the flower end of the fruit. Snip all the way to the stem end.


Now, underwater, place your fingers into the fissure, and break the fruit apart. Separate the seeds from the membranes. The seeds will sink, and the peel and membranes will float! That's it! Wasn't that easy!?

Of course, you will want to skim the floating material off of the water and discard it.

I like to keep a fresh bowl handy and a slotted spoon. I transfer the seeds into the fresh bowl as soon as I have enough to scoop. Maybe it's an unnecessary step, but I do this because you never know when you're going to open a really icky pomegranate in the water. Any cooking process will kill germs, of course, but still. . .

Now, you are qualified to go forth and make pomegranate wonderfulness! Have fun doing so! ~ Love!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't (or should say hadn't) had a pomegranate for years when I bought one just before Christmas. Oh how it brought back memories of sitting on my Grandparents lawn in the summer, out in the country, with horses and cattle surrounding their property. Such good memories. Thanks for this great tip, and the flood of memories!

    ReplyDelete