Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Girls' Night In


I am feeling so smug. The guys will have to entertain themselves, I am having the girls over for a movie night. At kind of a late hour, {which somehow makes it feel a little more like a special occassion} we are going to stretch out on the sofa, and watch Serendipity. Have you seen it? Don't you love it? Most of us have seen it before, and it is the perfect antidote to an otherwise seriously dark and gloomy night.

My apologies to our collective group of Honeys. Sometimes a girl's gotta giggle.

I'll build a toasty, warm fire in the fireplace, make a lovely cheese fondue, reposition the sofa to take the best advantage of the big television, {since it's not being used for hockey tonight} add wine and grapes and we're good.
I have the best cheese fondue recipe. I like to get my cheese from the makers, it feels so European that way. {silly grin here} It's Oakdale Cheese & Specialties, who, by the way provided the original recipe. I have altered it a bit. Some purposely, some accidentally, till we think it's just perfect, and because we do, we keep an eye out for opportunities to indulge in it. It isn't fair to tease you with all of this deliciousness, so I will post the recipe for your "Nights-In" to be.
It is Random Act of Kindness Day, afterall.


Can't say I never did anything for you!

Dutch Cheese Fondue Recipe

Ingredients:
1 clove garlic
1 3/4 cups milk
1 lb. Gouda Cheese, grated {We like mild Gouda, for this recipe}
4 T Flour (Wondra is great)
4 T lemon juice
Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
2-3 loves crusty Italian or French Bread {cut into cubes or sliced}


Preparation:
Coat the grated cheese with flour in a zipper bag.
Cut the bread into cubes or slices.
Rub the inside of the pot with the cut garlic clove, then discard garlic.
Place the pot on the stove and add lemon juice to it. Heat over medium flame until it is hot, but not boiling.
Add handfulls of cheese, alternating with the milk and stirring with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted and has the appearance of a light creamy sauce. Add pepper to taste.
Remove the pot from the stove, and place over a candle.


Additional Information:
I don't know why, but, 'wooden utensils only', are recommended.
If the fondue is too thick, add a little milk.
If it is too thin, you can thicken it with a little extra flour.
It will become thicker as time passes while it sits over the candle, though.
I really recommend Wondra. It is a sauce and gravy flour. Very easy to work with. It comes in a blue cardboard canister and will be found on the baking aisle at your grocer, near the flour.
The original recipe had wine, quite a lot of it. I don't remember how much anymore, but I think the recipe is probably available on their site to which I have provided a link.
Everybody who has tasted it, everybody, loves it.


mmm . . . . . . cheese fondue, wine and a movie with girlfriends . . . .


~Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment