Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Intentions"



I am making my first ever {that I remember} News Year's Resolution! There. I said it. That makes it official. Obviously, I don't "do" resolutions. So I kind of prefer some other term, which as yet escapes me . . . ah well . . . but as I want to be official about this {we'll call this little session: accountability} I'll spill my beans right here, all over your computer . . .


Spurred by my very dear blog-friend Alison May of Brocante Home:

". . . might I suggest you set upon creating a list of must-read books for 2010? Choose a book for every month of the year: books you have always planned to read but have never found the time, books from one particular author or books that will teach you everything you need to know about a subject that makes your heart a little giddy..."

I am reserving the right to switch them out . . . because I made this list out of my very own library, and one or two are going to be . . . maybe not what I hope they will be.

I have many, many books! Many, many! {ask my poor husband} {many} I am a hopeless bibliophile. I used to work at a little shop that sold a few used books . . . when I left, their sales went down considerably. I have a really, quite wonderful vintage collection from which to select . . . I simply stood in front of the bookcase, and this time, instead of thinking, "I really want to read that one sometime", I added the title to my list.

I don't plan to schedule them in any particular order, likewise, I list them in no particular order:

Shadows and Sunbeams by Fannie Fern 1854
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis 1925
Looking Backwards 2000-1887 1888
My Favorite Stories 1928 {a collection of stories published in Cosmopolitan Magazine . . . it was not available for sale, only by subscription.}
Auld Licht Idylls Better Dead by JM Barrie 1896 {another interesting article youmight enjoy}
The Story Teller 1902 {a collection of Fairy Tales}
The Science of Poetry and The Philosophy of Language by Hudson Maxim 1910 {signed!}
The Five Little Peppers and How they Grew by Margaret Sydney {This is a re-read, I read it when I was a child . . . mmmmm, such happy memories!}
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart 2007 {Youth Fiction which I ran across while Christmas shopping . . . looks good!}
For Love of a Rose by Antonia Ridge {Can't find a link that I like well enough to include, but I can't understand why this hasn't been made into a movie yet! Oh, and it's another re-read.}
Ruby Rest by Tyler Oaks 2007
. . . and something . . . anything by Miss Read

I really like the look of this list! Seeing it typed out . . . it's really exciting! . . . to quote Alison again, "it's something that makes my heart a little giddy!"

I am very, very happy with this list. So there you go. When you make yours, tell me about it for sure!

I have a cute story for you about Ruby Rest by Tyler Oaks. A couple of years ago {obviously 2007} as I pulled the door open to our local Borders Bookstore, my eye was captured by a sign advertising that there was to be a book signing at 2:00. I glanced at my watch, and it was a little after two. Perfect! So scanning the store, I saw a large number of people seated in the coffee area, all seemed to have books on their laps. So that must be it. After I finished my shopping, I would stop by. I was really intent on figuring out where the author was. When I finally turned to look where I was going, suddenly, there . . . directly in front of me, within practically inches, was a table where none should be . . . a beautiful girl seated behind it. I'll remember the mental picture always, a beautiful young woman with gorgeous long blonde locks, lovely in a bright red dress, smiling brightly and looking expectantly at me as I approached her table stacked with her brand spanking new, just released book! {Tell me you would have bought it too!}
She signed it to me afterall! This is the year that I set aside the time to do her maiden book justice! She is such a lovely lady, afterall.



P.S. Did you notice, that I did indeed come up with a word that I preferred to resolution? Intentions . . . yes! That's it! It is my intention . . . Works for me! Good luck with yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment